Our name derives from the high water mark measure that incentivizes hedge funds to outperform their last best gains. By seeking to surpass prior achievements with each new endeavor, our organization and our members produce amazing results.
Founded in 2005 and incorporated as a 501 (c)(3) by a small group of senior women from the hedge fund and investment communities, High Water Women has grown to engage women throughout the financial services sector in volunteerism and philanthropic giving. We now have more than 3500 members across the financial services spectrum and partnerships with dozens of nonprofits, schools and public agencies where our volunteers perform thousands of volunteer hours to each year.
Volunteerism for Economic Empowerment
HWW volunteers teach financial literacy classes to low income youth, conduct career days, mentor at-risk women and youth, conduct computer skills, résumé writing, and job search workshops, support women trying to start small businesses, provide new backpacks to thousands of children in need as well as gifts for the holidays, and provide pro bono consulting services to domestic and international microfinance institutions and NGO’s
- We focus our partnerships primarily in the New York City and tri-state area and on a global basis for our work in microfinance.
- Our work is made possible through contributions from individual, foundation and companies. Support our work
Visit our Program Pages
- Financial Literacy Education
- Backpack Drive for low income children
- Global Finance Consultancy for Microfinance and NGO’s
- Impact Investing Education
- Other Volunteerism Secret Santa & opportunities with HWW nonprofit partners
Our members are professional women and men with a commitment to investing their time, resources and expertise to our programs and nonprofit partners. Membership is free, you simply need to send us your information and you will begin receiving our monthly Volunteer Bulletin. To become a member click here. HWW helps our volunteers and supporters hone their philanthropy and community involvement by conducting educational programs and events. Click here to learn about upcoming events.
In October 2013 HWW convened a NYC Impact Investing Symposium for Family Offices, Foundation Endowments and Individual Investors. Read more
Our accomplishments include:
- More than 3000 students and 250 volunteers have participated in the Muriel Siebert High Water Women Campaign for Financial Literacy since it began in 2009.
- HWW volunteers Led the design and implementation of training modules for Microfinance partners, in Investor Readiness and Financial Risk Management for MFI’s; created Microfinance 101 which Grameen Foundation used to train thousands of Bankers Without Boarders.
- Since 2005, HWW volunteers have pioneered groundbreaking initiatives to deliver professional financial consulting to Tier 2 and 3 microfinance banks. HWW volunteers have traveled into the field to complete pro bono assignments for MFIs in Colombia, Ghana, Philippines and Liberia and have worked with MFIs in Guatemala and Haiti.
- Since 2005, HWW has conducted annual Back-to-School Backpack and Secret Santa Drives requiring the efforts of hundreds of volunteers. We have provided more than 55,000 children in need with fully-loaded backpacks to start the school year and gifts to brighten their holidays.
- HWW expanded its visibility as a thought leader in values-based investing with our 2013 Symposium: Investing for Impact in NYC attended by more than 270 investors, managers and impact practitioners.
- Recognition as an emerging and top foundation in publications including: The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Absolute Investor, Hedge World, Alpha Magazine, Private Asset Management, Bloomberg and Smart Money.
High Water Women salutes our donors, corporate and foundation supporters. See our supporters.